In the mood for a writing contest? You’ve come to the ‘write’ place!
As many of you know, I am a co-owner of the account, @highschoolwriters, on Instagram. I run the platform with a close friend, Abby, and together we aim to motivate and encourage all young writers to pursue their dreams!
One of our favorite things to do is host contests. In fact, we just closed our summer writing challenge back in July, and our winner received a signed copy of a book called Pulse by Patrick Carman. This fall, we are inviting you to participate in our poetry contest, even if you don’t consider yourself a poet. The top three winners will have their work featured on our Instagram story, while the first place writer will receive a few reading goodies! This is an event you don’t want to miss.
Goal: To write a series of poems based off the given prompts/themes
When you can enter: September 1 to October 3
Anyone can enter! Submit through our Instagram DMs.
-Must submit at least 3 poems (5 max) that are connected in some way, based off your chosen theme OR prompt
-Keep content PG-13
-You can only enter once (meaning 3-5 poems included in your entry)
- Start your poem (s) with the phrase: “You don’t see me.”
- Write about things often taken for granted.
- Start your poem (s) with these lyrics from Everybody Talks by the Neon Trees: “It started with a whisper.”
- Flip to the last line of your favorite book. Rewrite it to mean the opposite of what the author intended, in your own words. Use that as the start to your poem (s).
- Write about the things that make autumn magical.
Questions? Be sure to comment below, or DM us on Instagram!